Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Holistic Therapy of Aromatherapy


            The use of Aromatherapy, or also known as essential oil therapy, refers to multiple ways to use the oils. Essential oils can be used traditionally, alternative or complementary therapies.

Essential oils have been used for over 6,000 years to heal or improve someone’s health or mood. It’s been said that Evidence and recorded history have both shown that the Egyptians used aromatic oils as early as 4500 B.C.E. After all, the birth of essential oils was in Ancient Egypt. The Egyptians used the oils extensively for medical purposes, in cosmetics and in religion. Around the same time, India and China started to explore the benefits of essential oils and herbs. It then became an integral part of the Indian Ayurvedic Medical System. The deep knowledge of plants and oils was absorbed by the ancient Greeks, and a well-known physician, Hippocrates (c.460-377 BC) used to treat his patients holistically and with massages using oils. Finally, Romans absorbed the Greek knowledge and added bath with essential oils to promote hygiene and health.

Unfortunately, during the dark time, the church decided that taking bath was a sin, and the people started using oils to mask the smell. Thankfully the oils used were anti-bacterial and anti-pesticide. However, the teachings of Hippocrates were forgotten.

The Renaissance period brought the essential oils out again and they were used again in medicine. Actually, a doctor named Paracelsus used plant extracts to treat leprosy.

The meaning of the word “Aromatherapy” was created by the French perfumer Rene Maurice Gattefosse. He went through tests which showed that essential oils could be used to heal but also interact with the body chemistry. Because of Gattefosse’s findings, during WWII doctors successfully treated soldiers with essential oils.

From the late 70s, essential oils have become more and more popular for health and healing, but also for practical uses as a replacement to harsher chemicals.  

            I have incorporated essential oils in many aspects of my life. As a child, I remember that my grandmother would spray a handkerchief to help me go to sleep. I would do breathing treatments with essential oils when sick to fight congestion and help with my breathing. When I had children, I incorporated some of my favorite oils into their routine.

            A range of essential oils have been found to have a various degree of antimicrobial activity and are believed to have antiviral, nematocidal, antifungal, insecticidal, and antioxidant properties. Aromatherapy applications can be used in massage, topical applications, or inhalation.

Inhaling essential oils stimulates the olfactory system, the part of the brain connected to smell, including the nose and the brain. Molecules that enter the nose or mouth pass to the lungs, and from there, to other parts of the body. As the molecules reach the brain, they affect the limbic system, which is linked to the emotions, the heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, memory, stress and hormone balance. This is the reason that essential oils can have a subtle, yet holistic effect on the body.

            It is not recommended to ingest essential oils as it could damage the liver and kidneys. Aromatherapy is a complementary therapy. It is not a cure for diseases, illnesses and other medical problems that should be treated by conventional medicine.  

            Because of my passion with essential oils and using them for over 40 years, I decided to create my own line of Aromatherapy. As a Reiki master, a pranic healer, a crystal and gemstone practitioner and a shaman healer, I charge crystals for all of my sprays. In addition, I was raised Catholic and in order to bring the healing and positive energy from my background, I also add holy water from Lourdes in all of my products.

            I love all of my sprays because they each have a story of why they were created.
Here are a few of my favorites. There are 2 lines of sprays; The Behavior Sprays and the Chakra Sprays. Head over to the Etsy store for a complete list of sprays and their purpose. You may also request the description of each spray by email, click here.

1.     This one was created to open your heart chakra, and help you with self-love, self-care and all relationships. I spray my wrists before doing 2-3 slow deep breaths. The “I Choose Me” spray was designed to remember to love yourself.

2.     After a long stressful day, this spray may be what you need. Made with calming essential oils, it will help you to be in the present and let go of the day stress. My kids love this one, the “Serenity” spray. They spray their bed or pillow before going to sleep.

3.     For those who are sensitive to energies, may be overly sensitive or an empath, and those who want to stay grounded, the “Clear Away” is the spray for you. I also use this one to spray over my office, and to clean my crystals.

4.     This one is for those who deal with anxiety, an overly active mind and just need to “re-balance” their emotions. One of the best sellers the “Mood Stabilizer” spray. I spray this one before a much needed “light” meditation.

5.     Do you feel stuck, chaotic, ungrounded and your mind is everywhere? Then you may be in need of the Root Chakra spray from my Chakra Sprays line. I can never have enough of this spray. Its smell is wonderful. I spray over my chakra while I do a meditation to ground with Mother Earth and releasing anything that is not mine or that I don’t need anymore.

You can also find my podcast on SpotifyStitcher or iHeart radio.Thank you and enjoy the wonderful benefits of Aromatherapy.  

* As with anything, you should test on a small part of your body for allergy. Avoid spraying on the face and eyes. Do not ingest. Leave away from pets and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment